Home News Metro News 184 Feared Dead During Bomb And Gun Assault In Sinai Mosque
184 Feared Dead During Bomb And Gun Assault In Sinai Mosque

184 Feared Dead During Bomb And Gun Assault In Sinai Mosque

0

At least 184 people have been killed and scores more injured in a bomb and gun attack targeting a mosque in Egypt’s north Sinai, state television has reported.

Citing official sources, MENA said 125 people were also wounded in the attack on the al-Rawdah mosque, largely attended by Sufi Muslims, in the town of Bir al-Abd, 40 km (25 miles) from the North Sinai provincial capital of El-Arish.

Previously, it was learnt that 155 people were killed and another 120 injured in the attack but the death toll rose repeatedly on Friday afternoon as more details emerged.

The bomb ripped through the mosque as Friday prayers were finishing, then militants in four off-road vehicles approached and opened fire on worshipers, a military source told newsmen.

After an explosion, gunmen who were waiting outside the mosque opened fire at worshipers.

Meanwhile, Israel has sent condolences to Egypt in the wake of the attack.

Naftali Bennett, Israel’s education minister, said after the attack Friday that this “a time for international unity in the war on terror wherever it presents itself: Russia, Europe, the US, Israel and the Arab World — we have all been hurt by terror and must unite in our battle against it.”

Loading...

LEAVE YOUR COMMENT

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *