Home News Metro News 80-Year-Old Man Burnt To Death In Fire Incident In Lagos
80-Year-Old Man Burnt To Death In Fire Incident In Lagos

80-Year-Old Man Burnt To Death In Fire Incident In Lagos



An early morning fire on Tuesday, 13th September 2016, gutted a building at no 5 Aborishade Close, Lawanson area of Lagos, and burnt 80 year old, Godwin Oyia to death.

The fire incident, which was caused by a boiling ring, which was left unattended to, in the deceased’s room, was finally put out by emergency responders drawn from the state fire service and the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA).

Confirming the incident, LASEMA General Manager, Mr. Michael Akindele, said the agency received a distress call and responded immediately.

“This prompted the activation of the agency’s Emergency Response Team (ERT) to the scene of the incident.
“According to the investigation carried out by the agency’s ERT at the scene of the incident, it was discovered that a boiling ring, which was being used at the last room on the top floor led to the outbreak of fire that engulfed the whole building.

“Unfortunately, a man aged 80 years old identified as (Godwin oyia) lost his life to the inferno as he was burnt to death in the room where the fire started.

“The whole of the top floor of the building was completely burnt down, however the downfloor was salvaged by the combined efforts of the agency’s ERT, the Nigeria Red cross and the Lagos State Fire Service (Isolo division, alausa division and Ilupeju division).

“Others include the agency’s ERT, Nigerian Red Cross, Nigeria Police force (Itire division) and Lagos State Fire Service (Isolo division, Alausa division and Ilupeju division).

“The dead body was recovered by the Agency Emergency Response Team and handed over to the Nigeria Police Force.
“Proper investigation would be conducted on the incident but Lagosians should ensure safety by switching off all electrical appliances when not in use at home or in the off.”




Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *