1. Iyanya- Kukere
The etighi dance crooner would definitely look back on 2012 and thank God. The ladies man dropped this monstrous hit track, and the public went gaga on it.
2. Davido- Dami duro
Even the unborn child in the womb can sing this song. That’s to show how viral the song went. The
‘Omo Baba Olowo’ crooner really showed that he was in the industry to stay. Following it up with an album and album launch party that had top A-List celebrities in attendance, nobody can really stop davido.
3. EME- Baddest Boy
When EME released a CocoBar sponsored video of clips of Baddest Boy, WizKid assured us that it would be worth something listening to. I doubt if he had an inclining of the hit he was spinning.
4. Psquare- Chop My Money remix.
The original version had a nice positive review, and the remix was a further hit. With top african act, Akon, featured on it, it was a certified instant banger.
5. Gaga Crazy – Chuddy K
Instant party hit. The song had immediate wave in all parties. That indeed contributed to the success of the track itself.
6. Burna Boy- Like to party
Just like vector said in Wasted, this dude just burst on stage like Janet Jackson’s b**bs>. A relatively unknown artiste, the song had a great appeal and it launched him to stardom.
7. Vector- Wasted
Voted Nigeria Best Rapper at the concluded NMA, this song was released as a single off his Mix-tape titled BarRacks. The delivery, heavy punches and wasted lines really stepped up the game for other rappers around.
8. Olu maintain- Nawti
Olu Maintain lived up to his billing as a force to be reckoned with. Delivered in yoruba language, it still had a very nice appeal to the public. With a very superb video, Nawti really rocked 2012.
9. Catch cold – Flavour ft Tiwa SavageWhen the king of Highlife and Queen of R&B join forceson a single song, you know that another king in the making (Catch cold Rmx) Only if the offsping is a male though and which in this case, it is. This song leaked online on valentine’s day i.e February 14th, 2012 and since then it has been the lover’s anthem, if you know what i mean. *winks.
10. Azonto Freestyle – Wizkid
This song came out at the height of Azonto virus in Nigeria. With soothing high azonto beats, it was sonorous and sensational.
11. Olamide- First Of All
Not lagging in the game, the ‘Eni duro’ crooner also went the Azonto way. The song is now virtually a national anthem.
12. 2face- Ihe Neme
King 2Face Idibia keeps bringing it fresh from the Hypertek house this song is so dope starting from the familiar lyrics (“whether from kano, shege yaro”) to the beat that seems to have an extra detail in it (shout out to Jay sleek on this one),
13. Azonto – Fuse ft. Donae’o & TiffanyThe song that can stake claim to introducing Azonto to the Nigerian public. He came back from Ghana and he showed us how to do the dance.
14. Alingo – PSquare :- The p-square duo came with this hit amidst claim that they stole Timaya’s song. Doesn’t stop the public from going gaga on it. With a monster video, the dance is a fusion of different dances into one.
The Alingo dance doesn’t really look to becoming a viral dance in the nearest future.
15. Ile Ijo – May D
2012 was definitely his year. The former Square Records member released this huge dance/party song. With his soothing and rythmic dance steps, it was a real HIT.
16. K Switch ft D’banj – Sista Caro
After the Mo’hit split, the koko brothers came out with this. The public acceptance of it, is most likely due to the fact that people were expecting something from D’banj a long while coming.
17. Iyanya- Your Waist
*All I want is your waist* To anyone who doesn’t like music, the tune of this song should set you rolling your waist.
18. Beautiful Onyinye – P Square ft Rick Ross
Top class international collaboration. It just highlights the already known fact that our music industry is really going places.
19. Ajebutter 22 – Omo Pastor
It’s been a while an upcoming artiste made so much rave with one single song. The song epitomes a pastor’s daughter gone bad. Delivered in a near-comic manner, the lyrics wasn’t lost in it. And the message was passed loud and clear.
20. Timaya- ‘Bum Bum’ :- “All my ladies shake ur bum bum, e no mata where you come from” this song needs no introduction as we all rocked it in different clubs all over the country.
21. Naeto C Ft Dbanj- Tony Montana Remix –Tale Of Two Masters. What do you expect when two masters decide to collabo on a track. With the original version already making waves and paving way for the remix, it just had to be an instant hit.
Many criticized d’banj’s delivery though, but, that didn’t take the shine off the song.
22. Timaya ft terry g – malo no gede
Does anyone not know this song? I doubt. The real classic definition of a party hit. Attend any party and the music is not complete without this song.
23. Dammy Krane- My Dear
Tell anyone out there ‘Ko le re body’ and 9/10 people will auto-complete it with ‘My dear’ in their mind. That sums it up for this song. The high-life crooner signed to Hypatek records, couldn’t have wished for a better public appraisal.
24. Omowunmi- Bottom Belle
They say good things come out of ‘nonsense’. When Omowunmi was asked what brought about this song, she said most of the ‘jargons’ she said, was what her daughter do say when she was small. Like the Late Fela said, you don’t have to make sense to make sense. Also, the understandable part of the lyrics appealed to the feminine part a-lot and the song dance-appeal was really high.
25. Orobo Remix – Sound Sultan feat. Flavour Many songs remix, bask in the success of the original version. This one is no different. The ‘Naija Ninja’ featured one of 9ja’s best and the result was an outstanding success.
26. HakymThe Dream- Lamba
The word ‘Lamba’ is a crude version of the universal word ‘Fuck’ in the register of S*x. What else will appeal more to our S*xual generation if not a song connoted in a s*xual language. Not taking anything away from the brilliance of HakymThe Dream, the song delivery was very nice from the view of doing commercials.
27. Repping For My City.
Our own Starboy WizKid, featuring one of the best international act out there. The result was something we all expected.
28. Hi- Tonto Dikeh
Controversial? Hmmmm… Let’s put aside our feelings about the song. Much as we all criticized the song, I feel it was a case of following the crowd.
Online social media plays a good part in general acceptance of any song in Nigeria. And for an artiste who insults her fans, she most definitely can not expect everyone to like the song, no matter how good it is.
WizKid’s first album is a classic example. Online reviews, rated the album as a flop. My dear self almost didn’t bother downloading the songs. When I ended up doing it, there was no regret.
For her songs to garner over a million downloads within 24hrs, is no small thing.
Most of us have the Hi song on our phones, we laugh when play it, but we can’t help but nod our head to it albeit sub-consciously.
29. Davido: All of you
Most beef tracks are always successful. Well depending on the artiste singing it (9ice/RuggedMan scenario is a perfect example). The Omo baba Olowo delivered this song in his usual style of repeating lines in a song. Where one bar, becomes ten bars… He understands the market. Yup, giving them what they want and he’s making his money. Or rather, he already has the money.
30. Sarz Ft Wizkid- Beat Of Life Samba
Hmmmm…. 5… 4… 3… 2… 1…
Beat of life indeed. Leak of the song did nothing to douse the immediate acceptance of the song. Sarz cemented his place as on of the best beat maker, and wizkid exerted his authority as the starboy.