Following the ongoing strike action declared by the Joint Action Committee of Non Academic Students Union (NASU), Senior Staff Academic of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), and National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT), academic activities and vital services within the four walls of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, have been shut down.
While the main gate of the institution was also locked on Tuesday, the management of the OAU followed the development with a statement in which it told its students to go on break for the Christmas and New Year holidays.
A press statement issued by the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the university, Mr Abiodun Olarewaju, read:
“Following the unpalatable occurrence regarding strike action of the non-teaching staff of the university, the Senate of the university, at its emergency meeting held today, Tuesday, 5th December, 2017, has approved that the students of the university should proceed on an “End of the Year” break with immediate effect.
“The students have been asked to vacate their halls of residence latest by 4:00pm on Wednesday, 6th December, 2017. Accordingly, the general public, particularly the parents /guardians of our students have been asked to note this latest development and ensure that their children and wards are prevailed upon to comply with this directive”
“Consequently, the students are expected to resume on Tuesday, 2nd January, while lectures commence on Wednesday, 3rd January, 2018. While we pray for journey mercies for our students to their respective destinations, we also wish them a Merry Christmas and Prosperous 2018.”
It is understood that the strike action commenced on Monday, following opposition of the aggrieved staff unions to sharing ratio of the money for earned allowances released by the federal government.
The disputed proposal for OAU is 89 per cent to the Academic Staff Union of Universities, while the three non-teaching unions take the remaining 11 per cent.