The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, hereby reiterate that the on-going recruitment exercise into the Commission is line with due process and in conformity with federal character principle.
This clarifications has become necessary in view of the several calls and complaints from candidates who went to the Nigerian Air force Base, Mando Kaduna venue of the recruitment exercise conducted by the EFCC alleging that they were disqualified because they had no god-father and that the exercise was tilted in favour of the Northern candidates.
This is far from the truth as criteria were set albinitio for qualification into the EFCC. The criteria contained in the information which was spelt out in the Commission’s website reads: “be informed that due to the rigorous nature of the Cadet Training program, all candidates must be physically, medically and mentally fit in conformity with regimental standards. The selection of candidates in addition to other statutory requirements will be based on the following:
- Must not be more than 27 years old
- Must be single
- Height (Minimum Male:1.67m;Female:1.64m)
- Must have Body Mass Index (BMI) OF NOT MORE THAN 30. (Not obese)
- Chest Measurement (Not less than 34inches for Males)
- Must have a good hearing, good eye-sight and sound mind (This is for the purpose of weapon handling and other law enforcement gadgets)
- No recent medical surgery, no respiratory ailments or life threatening illnesses that can cause harm to the cadet and others during training
- No tattoos of any form
- Must not have any criminal record
- No membership of any cult or terrorist group
Must not be a user or dependent on any illicit substance or recreational drugs (Strict penalties will be applied to any candidate/cadet who is caught during Medical Screening/Random Testing)
It is also pertinent to state that over 200, 000 applications were received; as against the 750 (seven hundred and fifty) vacancies to be filled. The 750 Cadets are meticulously being screened.
The exercise which is still on-going for the Detective Inspectors (DI) and Detective Superintendents (DS) Cadres (the Detective Assistants (DI), Cadre has been concluded), is conducted transparently and every state is given equal representation.
We also reiterate that there was no inappropriate conduct by any official during the exercise as being alleged. The physical fitness and medical tests were conducted by officers from the Nigerian Air Force Hospital who are well trained and adhere to the relevant code of medical practice.
The media must therefore be wary not to become instruments of blackmail by applicants who failed the fitness test.