The Presidency on Tuesday directed all enquiries on the purportedly missing 2016 budget to the National Assembly.
It has now been confirmed by the Senate that the 2016 budget proposal presented by President Muhammadu Buhari on December 22, is nowhere to be found.
The Senate, which earlier denied rumors the document was missing, during plenary on Wednesday, recanted.
The Senior Special to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, who was reacting to reports of the missing 2016 budget yesterday, explained that the tradition is once the budget is presented to the National Assembly, it ceases to be a property of the Presidency.
He also stressed that nobody, with the exception of President Buhari, had powers to withdraw the budget.
Shehu, however, dispelled the notion that the missing document might be an indication that it had been withdrawn by the Presidency.
“Nobody, except the president, can withdraw the budget”, the presidential aide said. “As far as we know, he (the president) has not done that. The copies in their hundreds have been delivered to both chambers of the National Assembly”.
“By tradition, once the budget is submitted, it ceases to be our property. Enquiries as to where it is should be directed to the appropriate quarters”, Shehu said.