The commander of the Military Joint Task Force, JTF, fighting North Eastern Nigeria’s Islamic uprising has admited that 12 soldiers and seven police officers were killed in recent attacks.
The military had earlier said only two soldiers and one police officer were killed when suspected members of the Boko Haram terrorist network attacked a military base and police outpost near Nigeria’s border with Cameroon on August 4.
Maj. Gen. Jah Ewansiah made the admission Saturday when he spoke to the Borno State governor and journalists present.
He said despite the losses, the task force “is resolute and committed to ensure that peace is completely restored in Borno state, even if it means losing our lives.”
Thousands more troops were sent into North Eastern Nigeria after a state of emergency was declared mid-May.